Continuous Enrollment for Graduate Students
Master's and Educational Specialist Policy
- A student admitted to a Master's or Educational Specialist degree program must register every fall and spring semester from initial matriculation until all degree requirements are met.
- If the degree program requirements are to be completed in the summer, the student must register for a minimum of 1 unit of graduate credit in either 1st or 2nd summer session. If not graduating in the summer term, Master's and Educational Specialist candidates do not have to register for graduate units during summer sessions unless they plan to make use of University facilities or faculty time. If they do plan to use facilities or faculty time, they must enroll for a minimum of 1 unit of graduate credit in the term(s) in which they are using facilities or faculty time.
- Summer-only students are required to enroll continuously during consecutive summers until all degree requirements are met.
- A student admitted to a doctoral program must register for 3 units of graduate credit every fall and spring semester from initial matriculation until the completion of all course requirements, written and oral comprehensive exams, and 18 dissertation units. When these requirements are met, doctoral students not on financial assistance and/or needing to maintain appropriate visa status, may register for a minimum of 1 unit each semester until final copies of the dissertation are submitted to the Graduate Student Academic Services office.
- Students receiving funding such as assistantships, fellowships, loans, grants, scholarships or traineeships may be required by their funding source to maintain full-time status, and should check with their program advisor regarding such requirements to ensure that they remain qualified for funding.
- Summer or winter session registration is not required for doctoral students who will be taking comprehensive exams, the final oral exam (i.e., defense) and/or will be graduating during that session, presuming they registered for a minimum of 1 unit during the preceding fall or spring semester. However, if they plan to make other use of University facilities or faculty time during summer/winter sessions, doctoral students must enroll for a minimum of 1 unit of graduate credit in those terms.
Unless excused by an official graduate Leave of Absence (which may not exceed one year throughout the student's degree program), all graduate students are subject to the Continuous Enrollment Policy. If the student fails to obtain a Leave of Absence or maintain continuous enrollment, he or she will be required to apply for re-admission and to pay the Graduate College application fee. There is no guarantee of re-admission. Tuition or registration waivers cannot be applied retroactively.
* Please note that sections titled Frequently Asked Questions, Related Guidelines and links, Related Policies, Information for Advisors and Revision History are provided solely for the convenience of users and are not part of the official University policy.