Acceptability of Undergraduate Transfer Credit
The determination of acceptability of credit for course work completed at another institution of higher learning, whether the other institution is accredited or not, is made solely at the discretion of the University of Arizona. The evaluation of any course work from another institution or exam from an organization for acceptance by the University of Arizona will be based only on an official transcript from the institution originally offering the course work or organization offering the exam.
A few general policies:
- Credit is not given for grades lower than a "C".
- Grades from other institutions are not included in the calculation of the University of Arizona grade-point average.
- Remedial, vocational, technical, highly specialized and personal development courses are not accepted for credit.
- Physical education (PE) activity courses are accepted for credit; however, no more than three (3) PE activity credits will apply as general electives toward the student's degree.
- Proficiency or competency credit-by-exam earned at another college or university is non-transferable.
- All transfer courses from Arizona public community colleges will be reviewed individually by the Director of Transfer Curriculum & Articulation and by the appropriate University departments to determine which courses are acceptable for University credit.
- Transferability of courses of independent study, internship, or practicum will be determined by the appropriate department or college at The University of Arizona and may be restricted both in number of units and in degree applicability. Students who have taken community college courses in these categories may petition for an exception.
Students are advised to check with the Office of Registration & Transcripts to determine the acceptability of credit from other institutions. Applicability of transfer credit to a student's academic curriculum is determined by the academic advisor in the student's major department.
Transfer course work is not computed in the University of Arizona grade-point-average (GPA).
Related Guidelines and Links
* Please note that sections titled Frequently Asked Questions, Related Guidelines and links, Related Policies, Information for Advisors and Revision History are provided solely for the convenience of users and are not part of the official University policy.