Audit is a registration status allowing students to attend a course without receiving credit. Both graduate and undergraduate students may audit courses. Audit units do not count toward full-time status, nor do audited courses count toward the determination of continuous enrollment for catalog purposes.
Registration for audit is at the course instructor's discretion; at the time of approval for audit registration, the instructor and student will agree upon the student's level of participation in the class. The instructor may administratively drop the student for nonattendance or non-participation. Students are required to process a Change of Schedule form to withdraw from the class.
Students may change registration in a course from credit to audit under the following conditions (this applies for all sessions/terms):
- deadline to drop without a grade of W is also the deadline to change from credit to audit, or vice versa, with only an instructor's signature
- after the deadline to drop without a grade of W, a change from credit to audit will be permitted only if the student is doing passing work in that course and receives the approval of the course instructor
- after the deadline to drop with a grade of W, a change from credit to audit, or vice versa, will be permitted only if the student receives the approval of the course instructor AND the dean of the student's college. By Policy, permission from the dean to make registration changes after the last day to drop with a grade of W requires an extraordinary reason.
For class registration dates, see Registration Dates and Deadlines.
- Students may not register for a grade of audit using WebReg. Students who do not pay for their courses prior to the first day of classes are subject to a late fee. Therefore, students are encouraged to prepay for audit courses using WebPay in UAccess Student.
- Fees for auditing courses are the same as for credit courses.
- Beginning the first day of classes, students must acquire the instructor's signature on a Change of Schedule form for a grade of audit.
- In order for a new student or a readmitted student to enroll in audit courses only, the student must complete a non-degree seeking application and be admitted through either the the Graduate Admissions or Undergraduate Admissions office.
- The grade of O, with no grade-point value (O is not included in the GPA), is awarded for courses taken for audit. This grade is not awarded unless the student is registered for audit.
- The grade of WO is awarded if the student withdraws after the deadline to drop without a grade of W.
- The grade of XO is awarded if the agreed upon level of participation by the student in an audit enrollment is not met.
- The grade of XO is awarded for students who are administratively dropped for courses taken for audit after the deadline to drop without a grade of W.
- The grade of XO can be assigned by the instructor on the grade roster by selecting XO, if the agreed upon level of participation by the student in an audit enrollment is not met.
Related Guidelines and Links
* Please note that sections titled Frequently Asked Questions, Related Guidelines and links, Related Policies, Information for Advisors and Revision History are provided solely for the convenience of users and are not part of the official University policy.