Skip to Main Content
Navigated to Credit for U.S. Military Service & Training.

Credit for U.S. Military Service & Training

Note: This institution will inquire about each veteran's previous education and training, and request transcripts from all prior institutions, including military training, traditional college coursework and vocational training. Previous transcripts will be evaluated and credit will be granted, as appropriate. Please see related policies on transfer coursework and credit for prior learning below for more details.

The University of Arizona uses the American Council on Education (ACE) recommendations and university transferability guidelines to assess credit for U.S. military service and training for undergraduate students. No transfer credit is awarded for vocational certificate category ACE recommendations. 

ACE Military Credit for Undergraduates

Military credit evaluation is completed only after a veteran or student on active duty has been admitted to the University and has submitted all required documentation. 

Recruit or basic training on Joint Services Transcripts (JST) and Community College of the Air Force (CCAF) transcripts is awarded credit based on time in service (i.e., consecutive months of active duty in the armed forces, terminated under honorable conditions): 

  • 1 year or more: 8 units

  • 9 months: 6 units

  • 6 months: 4 units

  • 3 months: 2 units

  • Less than 3 months: no credit

Military Experience (ME) as documented on the JST transcript, as well as course work on the JST transcript, will be awarded credit based on ACE recommendations and university transferability guidelines.

The University of Arizona will accept up to 30 units of ACE-recommended military credit as transfer work toward a baccalaureate degree.  Credit will be awarded as general elective credit or department elective credit. Students should refer to the Transfer Credit Guide (TCG) under Military Credit and/or Community College of the Air Force (where applicable) to see how their ME and course work transfers to the University. Credit for military service experiences also may be acquired through standardized examinations (see Credit by Examination Policy). 

Documented experience that falls outside of the ACE recommendations and/or transfer credit policies of the University, will only be considered on a case-by-case basis through a Transfer Credit Appeal available through the Office of the Registrar.

Undergraduate Credit for Military Service

If you have earned a commission in the U.S. Armed Forces, you may petition the Office of the Registrar for an additional 12 upper division units of military science, naval science, or aerospace studies elective credit that will apply toward a second baccalaureate degree.

DD-214: Students who have served at least 18 months of consecutive active duty and were terminated under honorable conditions earn 4 units of lower division Military Science Elective Credit. These 4 units factor into the 30 unit maximum. Students may earn a total of 8 units for basic military experience. Credits earned from the DD-214 will be subtracted from the units earned for Basic Training from the JST or CCAF.

Graduate Credit for Military Service and Training

Any graduate credit for military service and/or training experiences will be awarded through the Graduate College Petition process available through the Office of the Dean, Graduate College.

Related Guidelines & Links:

Related Policies: