Academic Petitions

Undergraduate Academic Petitions

Undergraduate students may petition the University Petitions Committee for relief if they believe they deserve redress or exception to university rules, regulations, or policies regarding academic affairs, such as extension of incomplete grade, choice of catalog, and degree requirements. Petition forms may be obtained in the Office of the Registrar or from the college dean. The completed form with all relevant facts and supporting evidence is submitted to the college dean for recommendation. The dean forwards the petition and recommendation to the Office of the Registrar, who then forwards the petition to the University Petitions Committee for action. The decision of the University Petitions Committee is final. See the University General Petitions site for details.

Students may also petition for redress or exception to college policies or requirements. College petitions may address a change of schedule after the deadline, approval for overload, substitution of course work, application of transfer credit, modification in degree program, eligibility for registration or enrollment in the college. The necessary forms, instructions and assistance may be obtained in the office of the college dean. Petitions are filed in the college dean's office. The decision of the dean is final.

Graduate Academic Petitions

Students who believe, with good academic reason, that they deserve redress or exception to Graduate College rules, regulations, or policies can formally petition for an exception. A petition form must be submitted to the Graduate College Degree Certification Office explaining all relevant facts. Petitions regarding the student's degree program must be signed by the major advisor and department head, while petitions concerning a course must also include the instructor's signature. The petition must be accompanied by supporting documents and a letter of support from the student's major advisor, director of graduate studies, or department head. The Graduate College Petition is available online or may be obtained from the Graduate College Degree Certification Office, in Administration 316.

Related Policies: