Application of Arizona Community College Transfer Courses to UA General Education Requirements (for students without a certified AGEC)
For students who have not completed the Arizona General Education Curriculum (AGEC), Arizona community college transfer courses will apply to the Foundations component of the UA General Education Curriculum based on equivalencies in the Course Applicability System (CAS).
Community college courses determined by the University of Arizona University-wide General Education Committee to be equivalent to Tier One and Tier Two courses as noted in the CAS will transfer on a course-by-course basis and fulfill the respective requirements. Additionally, the University of Arizona will accept one or more courses identified by CAS as department elective credit toward Tier One and Tier Two requirements in the following manner:
- Transfer applicability will be determined on a course-by-course basis by a UA academic advisor in the college of the student’s primary major.
- Tier One Traditions & Cultures and Tier Two Humanities requirements can be fulfilled using courses in humanities, literature, philosophy, religion, and/or western civilization from the AGEC Arts & Humanities category. Students should choose courses from more than one discipline.
- The Tier Two Arts requirement can be fulfilled using 3 credits from Art, Dance, Music, and/or Theatre Arts courses from the AGEC Arts & Humanities category.
- Tier One and Tier Two Individuals & Societies requirements can be fulfilled by using AGEC Social & Behavioral Sciences courses or courses from anthropology, economics, ethnic/race/gender studies, history, political science, psychology, cultural geography, linguistics, or sociology. Students should choose courses from more than one discipline.
- Tier One and Tier Two Natural Sciences requirements can be fulfilled by using AGEC Physical & Biological Sciences courses or laboratory science courses from astronomy, biology, botany, environmental science, chemistry, geology, physics, physical geography, or zoology. Students should choose courses from more than one discipline.
- To satisfy the Diversity Emphasis Requirement, students must obtain approval from their University academic advisor, since there is no equivalent AGEC category from which to select a course focusing on gender, race, class, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or non-Western area studies.
When incorporating one or more transfer courses to satisfy General Education requirements, students should seek advising at the University of Arizona to ensure the breadth of exposure central to the General Education curriculum. Students completing an AGEC at a community college should obtain General Education advising at the community college. Advising for major-specific requirements should be obtained at the University.
Related Guidelines and Links
* Please note that sections titled Frequently Asked Questions, Related Guidelines and links, Related Policies, Information for Advisors and Revision History are provided solely for the convenience of users and are not part of the official University policy.