General Education Curriculum - Fall 2021
The General Education curriculum described below applies to all students who matriculate in Fall 2021. Students who matriculate in Spring 2022 should consult the Spring 2022 General Education Curriculum policy.
The University-wide General Education Curriculum helps students attain the fundamental skills and broad base of knowledge that all college-educated adults must have, whatever their specific areas of concentration (i.e., the major and minor). The experiences of General Education encourage students to develop a critical and inquiring attitude, an appreciation of the interdisciplinary nature of subject areas, acceptance of persons of different backgrounds or values, and a deepened sense of self. The goal of General Education is to prepare students to respond more fully and effectively to an increasingly complex and ambiguous world.
All degree-seeking, undergraduate students must satisfy the requirements of the UA General Education Curriculum by completing a series of basic college courses:
- Foundations - First-Year Writing (Composition), Mathematics, and Second Language courses
- Tier One – Traditions & Cultures, Individuals & Societies, and Natural Sciences courses
- Tier Two – Humanities, Individuals & Societies, Natural Sciences, and Arts courses
- Diversity Emphasis – Gender, Race, Class, Ethnicity, Sexual Orientation, or Non-Western Area Studies (one course)
General Education policies pertaining to transfer students:
- Arizona General Education Curriculum (AGEC)
- Completion of the UA General Education Requirements with Transfer Courses
- Application of Arizona Community College Transfer Courses to UA General Education Requirements (for students without a certified AGEC)
- Application of Four-Year and Out-of-State Two-Year College Transfer Courses to UA General Education Requirements
Your Specific Requirements:
To see the requirements specific to your major and degree program, consult the general Academic Advisement Reports or your personal Advisement Report in UAccess Student. Please direct questions to your academic advisor.
Office of General Education:
The Office of General Education administers the University of Arizona's General Education Curriculum.
* Please note that sections titled Frequently Asked Questions, Related Guidelines and links, Related Policies, Information for Advisors and Revision History are provided solely for the convenience of users and are not part of the official University policy.