Grade Replacement Opportunity (GRO)
- Undergraduates who have not received a bachelor's degree from this University may repeat under the Grade Replacement Opportunity (GRO), only once, certain courses in which they received grades of C, D, or E.
- All undergraduates who have earned fewer than 60 University Credits (i.e., units in residence at the UA) at the time of application for GRO are eligible. Students with 60 or more earned University Credits may retake courses in accordance with the Course Repeat Policy but without use of the GRO.
- GRO requests for regular-dated classes in any session may be submitted online during GRO filing periods. See the exact GRO Filing Deadlines and the GRO Information page.
- Graduate students are not eligible for GRO.
- The repeat GRO attempt department, course number, and grading type must be identical to the first attempt.
- "Credit by Exam", "Grade by Exam", "Individual Studies" courses, "Success Courses," “Developmental Courses” (i.e., those with AX/BX after the course number), and "Pass/Fail" courses cannot be taken under GRO. Individual Studies is defined as courses with numbers ending in 91 (Preceptorship), 92 (directed research), 93 (internship), 94 (practicum), and 99 (independent study).
- A total of 3 courses may be repeated under GRO.
- A GRO repeated course grade will replace only one previous grade. (Example: if a course has been graded more than once, the GRO repeated course grade will replace only one of the graded courses.)
- The repeated attempt under GRO is the grade used in the calculation of the grade-point-average (GPA), even if lower than the first attempt, except in the case of #10 below. Both grades earned in the first and the GRO repeat attempts will remain on the academic record. If a student passes the first attempt, but fails the repeat attempt, the failing grade is calculated in the grade-point-average; however the units earned in the first attempt may be applied toward degree requirements.
- GRO repeat attempt grades of O, W, WC, WO or XO count as attempts, but do not replace the grade in the first attempt.
- When the final grade for the GRO repeat attempt has been processed in the Office of the Registrar, the cumulative units and grade-point-average will be adjusted. Grades of I and Y are not final grades.
- University, college or department policies or certain circumstances may limit the option to use the Grade Replacement Opportunity. Neither the department nor the Office of the Registrar is responsible for the loss of this opportunity due to changes in course offerings, such as course cancellation, unit change, time change, etc.
- After filing the GRO form, it becomes the STUDENT's RESPONSIBILITY to notify the Office of the Registrar, Administration Bldg. Rm. 210, of ANY CHANGE that may affect the registration in the course being repeated.
- Please direct specific questions about GRO to your academic advisor.
Related Guidelines and Links
* Please note that sections titled Frequently Asked Questions, Related Guidelines and links, Related Policies, Information for Advisors and Revision History are provided solely for the convenience of users and are not part of the official University policy.