Change of Major or College

Students wishing to declare a major in a different college must first receive permission from the dean's office of the college to which they wish to transfer. Change from one college to another is initiated by filing a change of college form with the new college.

To change majors within your current college, consult with the program requirements for the new major regarding program requirements and the procedure to declare the major. There may be restrictions on the time of the semester for declaring a major or changing colleges.  Students should contact the dean's office of the college they wish to enter for information on the optimal time to begin the new program of study.

While you explore major options, you may declare "no major selected," a status available to freshmen and sophomores, The A Center will help you by providing comprehensive advising to assist students in the major exploration process.

Multiple Majors

A double major is possible for undergraduate students with two principal fields of study in programs that offer the identical degree type. For example, a student can major in both Linguistics and Classics, since both lead to the Bachelor of Arts Degree. A triple major is another option, as long as the same degree title is available for the selected majors:  B.A., B.S., B.F.A., B.S.B., etc. Double and triple majors may be in the same or different colleges.

A second major may replace the required (or optional) minor, or it may be completed in addition to a minor in the student's degree program. The minimum total units required for graduation are set by the primary degree program or major (the first one). At least 18 units in each major must be taken as University Credit. See the Academic Advisement Reports for a complete statement of the requirements and approved courses for all undergraduate majors. It is essential to maintain contact with the major advisor in each department to ensure that all specific requirements are met.

The student's primary major determines the student's college. The student with a double major follows the degree requirements, policies and procedures of the college offering the primary major/degree program. All majors are declared when the student files an application for degree candidacy. When the student has completed all degree requirements, including those for the second/third major, the college of the primary major/degree program awards the degree, along with any academic honors.

To add a second or third major within or outside of your college, consult with the academic advisor for the new major regarding program requirements and the procedure to declare the major. There may be restrictions on the time of the semester for declaring the major. Declaration of a second or third major does not involve a change of college.

Time to Declare a Major

Students with No Major Declared or No Major Selected
Contact your college dean's office for information about academic advising for undecided students in your college.

Students must declare a major in a degree program prior to earning 60 units or before attaining junior standing. Incoming transfer students with a minimum of 60 transferable units have one semester at the University before they need to declare a major in a degree program.

Students admitted to a pre-major should consult with their major advisor regarding the time limit for admission to the major degree program.

For help in choosing a major or a career, contact one of the offices listed below for guidance.  These offices are staffed by professionals who specialize in helping students identify academic and long-term career goals.

Related Guidelines & Links:

Related Policies: