Readmission to the University
Note: New academic statuses, defined in the Academic Eligibility Policy, are effective in Fall 2019 for all undergraduates, as approved by the Faculty Senate, 5/6/19. Policy language updated for clarity, 2/18/20.
Application for readmission is not required for the following populations:
- Students who left in Academic Eligible status, Academic Review status, or Academic Warning status and missed no more than two consecutive regular semesters may return without applying for readmission (see the Back2UA Program).
- Students who have previously attended the University in a non-degree seeking status must apply for admission to a degree seeking program through the Freshman or Transfer admission applications, if now seeking a degree. Students who would like to return as a non-degree seeking student must complete that process. Application should be made through the Office of Admissions.
NOTE: All students who have attended other institutions during their absence from the University must submit official transcripts to the Office of the Registrar.
Applying for Readmission
- Students who left in Academic Eligible status or Academic Review status (i.e., good academic standing) and were absent from the University for more than two regular semesters must apply for readmission (see the Second Start Policy and the Office of Admissions).
- Students who left on Academic Probation status or Academic Ineligible status and were absent from the University for one or more regular semesters must apply for readmission (see the Second Start Policy and the Office of Admissions).
- Students who left on Academic Warning status and were absent from the University for more than two consecutive semesters must apply for readmission (see the Second Start Policy and the Office of Admissions).
- Students required to apply for readmission must submit official transcripts of all course work completed elsewhere in order to be reviewed for readmission. College transcripts should be sent to the Office of the Registrar.
NOTE: Students who withdraw from the University and do not enroll for more than two consecutive regular semesters (Fall, Spring) must meet degree requirements as outlined in the Catalog in effect at their re-enrollment or during their registration.
- Students not eligible for Back2UA and seeking readmission who were on Academic Eligible status or Academic Review status upon departure from the University and did not attend another post-secondary institution during their absence are eligible to return upon application for readmission.
- Students on Academic Eligible status or Academic Review status who have attended another post-secondary institution must submit an official transcript of all course work. A minimum cumulative grade-point-average (GPA) of 2.0 on a 4.0 scale is required for course work completed at other institutions. If the student's interim coursework GPA is below 2.0 the readmission application will be referred to the college for review. The Office of Admissions will process the application for readmission according to the written recommendation of the dean.
- Students seeking readmission who left the University on Academic Probation status, Academic Ineligible status, or Academic Warning status but not eligible for Back2UA will be referred to the college for review. Students will be required to submit a personal statement and post-secondary transcripts if they attend another college during their absence. A minimum cumulative grade-point-average (GPA) of 2.0 on a 4.0 scale is required for course work completed at other institutions.
The last dates for receipt in the Admissions Office of all official transcripts and application forms for readmission to the University are as follows:
For students in Eligible Status:
- For Fall semester: August 1
- For Spring semester: November 1
- For Summer I and II: June 1
For students who are on Academic Probation or Ineligible Status:
- For Fall semester: Domestic students, June 1; International students, May 1
- For Spring semester: October 1
- For Summer I and II: April 1
For further information contact:
Office of Admissions
The University of Arizona
PO Box 210040
Tucson, AZ 85721-0040
Phone: (520) 621-3237
Related Guidelines and Links
* Please note that sections titled Frequently Asked Questions, Related Guidelines and links, Related Policies, Information for Advisors and Revision History are provided solely for the convenience of users and are not part of the official University policy.